ECRS offers self-checkout, in a variety of Market™ series cabinet configurations, to support traditional front-end store installations or within specific departments. Autonomous self-service software is a complementary component of the all-inclusive CATAPULT® retail automation system that drives traditional checkout lanes, e-commerce / click-and-collect, RAPTOR® accelerated checkout, and mobile POS.
In many cases, this technology can be adapted to fit existing software and/or hardware platforms, making the transition easier while enabling retailers to retain and realize their existing investment.
City Market® is a premium self-checkout kiosk designed for ePay transactions with cash back availability. This ADA-compliant kiosk packs quality and dependability into a compact footprint built to serve micro market and retail locations with minimal operator maintenance.
Super Market™ is our full service model designed for high volume purchase transactions. It provides maximum functionality and physical shelf and bagging space. This unit also includes a scanner/scale for produce and other fresh food items. Units can be placed back-to-back in order to maximize front store space.
Autonomous Guidance: A Better Software Philosophy Means a Better Consumer Experience
At ECRS, our self-checkout design starts with software that is focused on a user-friendly experience, from start to finish. We are leading the industry down a new path for self-service by designing our solution to be more autonomous, and less likely to ever need store personnel interaction.
The goal is simple: design and build solutions that act as one with the consumer, allowing them to quickly interact, scan, resolve discrepancies, and tender transactions with little-to-no attendant interaction.
Below are a few of the software features that help achieve our goal:
Self-guided, friendly, and engaging user interface – It all starts with a smile, disarming even the most apprehensive customer. Visual and voice guidance is provided to gently guide the consumer to the next step in the transaction.
- AmbDex™ item scanning – Consumers tend to naturally want to scan and bag two items at a time.The Patented AmbDex feature allows for this, which results in fewer false bag weight security faults and a more comfortable scan-to-bag flow.
- Speed Tendering™ – The Patented Speed Tendering function allows experienced consumers to skip unnecessary steps and tender the transaction by simply swiping their credit card or prepaid account card.
- Secure OneTouch™ – Customers can associate themselves to a transaction, receive e-coupons, loyalty points, and even pay for all merchandise, simply by touching a biometric fingerprint reader one time. It’s the easiest, fastest, and most secure payment technology on the market.
Device Aware Customer Association – The ECRS line of self-service kiosks allows consumers to associate themselves using a variety of identification technologies, such as barcode scanners, magnetic stripe readers, biometric readers, and RFID readers. Because of the array of available customer identification methods, all varieties of ECRS kiosks now provide visual guidance for consumers to help them understand the different options they have to associate themselves to transactions. To accomplish this, ECRS has made the software application device-aware so that it automatically senses what the available options are, based on what peripherals are connected and working. Therefore, it automatically configures itself and only displays photos of the appropriate identification methods anytime the customer needs to associate themselves to the transaction. This device-aware approach to consumer guidance simplifies and expedites setup and ongoing maintenance across all flavors of ECRS self-service kiosks.
Software that Thinks and is Capable of Overcoming Daily Obstacles
You can expect your ECRS self-service and self-checkout systems to automatically navigate the various daily issues that normally cripple competing systems (and of course their consumers/operators.)
For example, when CATAPULT senses that a bill or coin dispenser is jammed or out of currency, it will automatically print out a barcoded receipt, which enables the consumer to quickly and effortlessly retrieve their exact owed change from another self-checkout unit, or from an attended POS station.
The consumer simply scans the barcoded receipt at an adjacent self-checkout unit and the change is quickly dispensed and reconciled within the store reporting system. Additionally, the software will automatically disengage the failing equipment and display a notice on the customer display proactively notifying future customers that cash handling is temporarily unavailable, while communicating that e-payments are still available.
Additional intuitive software intelligence includes:
- “Walk Away” detection – This patented feature senses when the customer may have walked away from the system. A countdown appears on the customer interface before the transaction is automatically voided and recorded within the reporting system.
- Self-learning weight security – With CATAPULT, retailers can choose to run with, or without, item weight security. If you choose to leverage weight security with your self-checkout offering, CATAPULT will automatically learn the weight of every item in your store. These captured weights are automatically replicated to every store location within the enterprise ensuring that all self-checkout system databases are always updated and in sync.
- Self-tuning weight security – CATAPULT automatically runs statistical analysis on all captured weight ranges, accounting for small discrepancies that may occur, and automatically eliminating those captured weights that are likely to be false readings. This level of automated business logic provides more accurate weight security which translates to fewer weight exceptions at the checkout.
- “Assistance Needed” email alerts – Store personnel can receive automatic email alerts when a shopper needs assistance or when the self-checkout terminal requires maintenance. This allows staff to carry a mobile device and receive notifications rather than having to stand behind a stationary attendant workstation.
Self-Checkout, Is this Solution a Fit for Your Retail Business?
Over the years, self-checkout technology has improved and consumers have become more comfortable using this technology. Consumers can now be provided with convenient, simple, and fast checkout transactions with minimal attendee interaction required. To that end, ECRS has deployed thousands of self-service kiosks to unattended employee break rooms throughout North America with great success.
Modern self-service automation, consumer acceptance, and rising labor costs present the perfect opportunity to consider implementation of self-service for the first time, in addition to replacing and/or upgrading aging units.
Self-checkout can elevate your grocery business by:
- Offering consumers another option in their transaction experience
- Reducing lines and increasing throughput
- Re-deploying cashiers from stationary check lanes to the sales floor in order to elevate direct customer service and upselling
- Reducing labor costs
With CATAPULT, ECRS has set a new standard in transactional store software systems, effectively making the POS and self-checkout a single unified solution with two distinct user experiences. By combining the CATAPULT transactional solution stack, with ECRS’ adaptable Market™ series cabinetry, retailers have more capability than ever to mix-and-match store requirements for a variety of store location demands and local consumer preferences.